|August 7, 2004||HOME|
After an early breakfast, I marked the drill setback point on the aileron push-pull tubes. I checked the primer job on the inside and found it was sticking nicely and evenly coated the length of the tubing.
I marked the drill points evenly around the circumference of each tube. There are six rivets in each end.
I thought about using the drill press and cross drilling the holes, but the exact evenness of the rivet spacing is non-consequential. After I drilled, I found that the spacing was reasonably exact anyway.
Here is the first push-pull aileron tube drilled with pilot holes.
While I was working on drilling the tubes, I got Bill to give the fiberglass rudder bottom a skim coat of filler. It look awful here, but most will be sanded off leaving the little pin-holes filled.
Back to real work! Here is the first end fitting final drilled to #30 and clecoed in place. It's time to de bur and rivet.
The holes were pretty clean, requiring only a quick pass with the Dremel. Now the rivets. I have a hard time with the these steel rivets popped by hand, but I got through it.
A thing of beauty, eh? Riveted and ready. Well one end done anyway.
So, I went on to drill and rivet the rest of them. Two large tubes, 4 ends in all. Like most of these tasks, it took longer than expected.
Next I went on to set up for drilling the short tubes that run from the aileron bellcranks to the aileron horns. They are 1/2" 4130 instead of aluminum and the tips can be welded. I decided to rivet them and marked out the drill distances on some aluminum angle.
I had this wood jig that was drilled in the press to be perpendicular. It makes a good guide and I used it to drill the angle exactly on center at the elbow. I can now use the angle as a guide to drill the round steel stock.
Meanwhile, I stopped for a break and got caught up in finding the parts for the aileron bellcrank attachment. The bellcranks attach to the back side of the spar. I drilled out the brass bushings that take a 3.5 x 1/4" bolt. The bellcrank ride on the bushing.
I know some folks have problems with binding of the bellcranks, but mine turned out to be smooth and easy to move without any play in the bushings. Happy with that!