|April 1 , 2009||HOME|
No joke, today I installed the fuel injectors and the actuators. It took a little tweaking to get a perfect alignment with fuel injection fuel lines and the injectors, but with a little effort each was nearly perfect.
I torqued the fuel injectors, but just ran the fuel line connectors down firm. I will tighten them later as I am not sure that I won't have to remove them again for one reason or another.
The FADEC SBC Controller harness required a ground wire that wasn't there, so I added it, grounding the connector housing. It is simply soldered in place.
The FADEC throttle body requires a gasket a spacer and another gasket. I began the installation, but realized I didn't have the proper nuts to match the studs. Ugh! Another thing put off until parts float in.
It took me 30 minutes of fiddling with ring gear ( or flywheel? What is it?) before I realized that it would only fit one way. Then I started thinking about timing marks and got the #1 piston to TDC on compression. I didn't know about the little mark on the starter until I came upon it by accident. Finally, I got the darn thing to fit, feeling all the time that I didn't know enough to be building an airplane. One of those days!
There were no instructions that I could find anywhere on what to do with the o-ring. There seemed to be only one possibility though, so I assumed it formed the seal between the flywheel and the prop or, in this case, the prop extension.
The prop extension was a firm fit. I put a little of the recommended Never Seize on the bolts and got each started. I have a prop extension because I am using a James Cowl.
The prop extension bolts are torqued in a cross (opposite) pattern just like one would torque a prop.
With a little more time left in the workday, I installed the tach drive cover I got from Avery Tools (It's about $13). I had to hold the tip with needle nose pliers to get the threads started.
There is not much clearance from the oil filter mount and there was no way I could get this thing installed with the oil filter in place. All that said, it does clear everything, after all, a tach cable would have to fit here if I was using one.
A little safety wire can keep the thing from falling out of the bottom of the cowl if it ever works loose.
|The page contains Kathleen Evans RV-7l of Redding CA.|